I am pleased to be in my 41st year of practicing law. I bring an extensive body of skills and knowledge, honed over these years, to my work on your behalf. Additionally, I work promptly and efficiently. Especially today, more than ever, time is money. I know that my client's work is important to them and, as a result, it is important to me. And of course, all of my work comes with my reputation for high integrity that I have developed over my practice. I provide proactive, forward-looking legal advice to my clients.
Keep in mind that in the business of intellectual property rights, which is the business you are in no matter what your product or service, quality legal services are the absolute foundation of your business. Without thorough legal protection in this complex legal environment, the amounts you spend on the other areas of your business may be put at substantial risk.
I practice preventative law and try to advise my clients in this regard so that they may possibly be able to avoid the usually very significant costs and fees of remedial law. Preventative law is about doing proactive, effective and thorough legal work in a manner that seeks to avoid problems that can arise later on. Preventative law is when rights are well-documented, agreements are well-drafted and when a longer term view is used. Remedial law is what takes place when such rights are not well-documented or such agreements are not well-drafted or when parties have failed to see with vision and is about seeking to fix a transaction after legal disputes or other problems have arisen. Often this takes the form of very expensive and time consuming litigation or other such formal proceedings. Often as well it occurs when a sale or other transaction is about to take place and the party discovers that it does not have the rights it thought it had.
In my experience, preventative law is almost always cheaper than remedial law. Help me is almost always cheaper than fix me. If you see things as an entrepreneur, then you will understand this approach.
I am licensed to practice law in California, which is where my office is located and where I practice law. I do not handle litigation matters and do not appear in court in California or any other state. This web site is designed to provide legal information and is not intended to be advertising. I do not seek to represent any party based solely on that party's visit to my web site in a state or other jurisdiction in which this web site fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state.
This web site and the articles contained on this web site are not legal advice and are not intended as legal advice. This web site and the articles contained on this web site are intended to provide only general, non-specific legal information. This web site and the articles contained on this web site are not intended to cover all the issues related to the topic discussed. The specific facts that apply to your matter may make the outcome different than would be anticipated by you. This web site and the articles contained on this web site are based on United States law. You should consult with an attorney familiar with the issues and the laws of your country. This web site and the articles contained on this web site do not create any attorney client relationship between you and Ivan Hoffman. This web site and the articles contained on this web site are not solicitations.
Among the wide variety of transactions I have handled in my career (now in its 41st year) are the following:
· Affiliate Program Agreements
· Designation of Agent Forms for DMCA
· Privacy Policies including COPPA compliance
· Web Design Agreements
· Web Designer/Independent Contractor Agreements
· Web Hosting and Maintenance Agreements
· Licenses for Use of Protected Materials
· Web Site Copyrighting
· Content Licensing
· Electronic Publishing Agreements including acquisition and licensing agreements
· Software and Shareware licenses
· Domain Name Disputes
· Domain Name Transfer/Lease Agreements
· Nondisclosure and Confidentiality Agreements
· On Line Financial Web Site Membership Agreement and Disclaimer
· Electronic Retailing Agreements
· Employment and Independent Contractor Agreements
· Mobile Phone Game Agreements
· Author-Publisher Agreements including computer book publishing agreements
· Publisher Distributor Agreements
· Foreign Publishing Agreements including single and multiple territory agreements, translation and reprint agreements
· Cover Artist/Illustrator Agreements
· Editor Agreements
· Subsidy Publishing Agreements
· Copublishing Agreements
· Agency Agreements
· Ghostwriter Agreements
· Motion Picture/Television Rights Agreements
· Copyright Assignments and Copyright forms
· Collaboration Agreements
· Model Releases and Permission Licenses
· Interview Releases
· Rights Reversion Agreements
· Purchase/Sale of Publishing Company
· Analysis of Old Copyright and Contract Issues Including Out of Print Issues
· Termination of Transfer Issues
· Applications, search reviews
· Post application filings
· Domain Name Disputes
· Domain Name Transfer/Lease Agreements
· Songwriter Agreements
· Recording Agreements
· Foreign Publishing Agreements
· Copublishing Agreements
· Master Lease Agreements
· Film and Television Scoring Agreements
· Agency and Management Agreements
· Television and Motion Picture Synchronization Licensing Agreements
· Copyright Issues Regarding Old Musical Composition Renewals
· Film and Television Agreements and Negotiations
· Trademark Issues
· Domain Name Issues
· Divorce and Copyright Issues
· Deceased Celebrities and Copyright Issues
· Product Endorsement Agreements and Negotiations
· Name And Likeness Uses
· Sports Agent Licenses
· Articles of Incorporation, Minutes, By Laws etc.
· Limited Liability Company Operating Agreements etc.
· Non-Profit Organization Formation
· How Marital Settlement Agreements are Affected by the Copyright Law (California State Bar/Family Law Section (2012)
· Q&A on firstname.lastname@example.org
· Independent Writers of Southern California (2005, 2006)
· Entrepreneurship and the Internet-UCLA Extension
· Copyright In the 21st Century: Lecture as Part of Seminar of Prof. David Nimmer-UCLA Law School
· Publishing and Writing Law-UCLA Extension
· Principles of Intellectual Property Law-UCLA Extension
· Judge, Intercollegiate Competition on Ethics and Business Center for Ethics and Business, Loyola Marymount University
· California Writers Club-May, 2002
· Sacramento Publishers Association-April 28, 2001
· Keynote Speaker-Temple University Virtual Conference on Intellectual Property and Digital Information in
Higher Education-April 18, 2001
· HorizonLive.com Online Lecture on Legal Issues in Distance Education-January, 2001, May, 2003
Interviews about law and the Internet and cited as an expert in:
· San Francisco Chronicle (Google Settlement)
· “The Advocate” and “Plaintiff” Legal Magazines
· WDET (Detroit Public Radio)
· The Hollywood Reporter Blog (Eriq Gardner) (Google Settlement)
· Spin Magazine (Article about music sampling)
· ABCNews.com June 2007
· DHL Business Watch Newsletter June, 2006
· San Francisco Chronicle, May 14, 2006
· "The Publishing Game: Publish a Book in 30 Days" by Fern Reiss
· Pages Magazine
· PR Intelligence Report
· Bloomberg Television News Service
· The Beautiful Plan
· Folio: FIRST DAY
· CommVerge Magazine
· Computer and Internet LAWCAST
· Business Week Online (multiple interviews)
· Mac Design Magazine, March/April 2001
· The Charlotte Austin Review, Ltd.
· Los Angeles Times, November 15, 2000
· "Understanding Computers in Healthcare" by Ben Weinstock, P.T.
· "To Protect Serve" by Denise Dubie (Publish Magazine, September 2000)
· "Writerspeaker.com" by Carmen Leal
· Writers Digest Annual Childrens Writers and Illustrators Market 2001
· Training Magazine (March, 2000)
· "The Complete Idiots Guide to Macromedia Flash 5" by David Karlins
· "Webmastering for Dummies"
· "Mastering FrontPage 98"
· "Mastering Netscape Communicator"
· "Surfing the Internet with Netscape Communicator"
(all by Brenda Kienan)
· "HTML For The World Wide Web" by Elizabeth Castro
"deconstructing web graphics" by Lynda Weinman
· "Cyberscribes" by Anne Hart
· I/O Magazine
· Music Connection (twice)
· Microtimes Magazine
· Wordsmith (http://www.aw-wrdsmth.com)
· "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About POD Publishing But Didn't Know Who To Ask" by John Harnish
· Momwriters On Line Chat
· Radio Shows
· Mycoolcareer.com· In speaking, teaching and training venues at:
· The Business/High Tech Hour with Bob McCormick-KNX Radio (Multiple Interviews)
· Web Talk Guys
· "Talking About This Week" on About.com
· "Inside The Net"
· "On Ramp with John Levine"
· "Net Talk"
· "Computer Radio"
· "Entertainment On Line"
· "The Cyber Advocate Radio Show"
· John Marshall Law School (Atlanta, GA)
· Gulf Coast Community College in Panama City, Florida
· Florida Coastal School of Law
· College Franois-Xavier-Garneau, Ontario Canada
· Finger Lakes Community College
· Arts Council of Indianapolis
· Society for Marketing Professional Services
· NYU Center for Publishing ("Profitability in Book Publishing"). Master's Level Class.
· New Hampshire Technical Institute
· Griboedov Institute of International Law and Economics (Moscow, Russia)
· Yavapai College
· InsideSessions (Penguin Putnam Publishing)
· University of Missouri-Kansas City
· The 1999 Stanford Conference on E-commerce
· The Ragan Communications Technology for Communicators Conference
· The 2000 Stanford Conference on E-commerce
· San Jose State University E-commerce Management program; two courses:
· Content Development
· Staffing, Insourcing, and Outsourcing
· College of The Canyons, Santa Clarita, California
· San Diego State University
· Southwest Tennessee Community College
· Open University of Hong Kong
· University of Aarhus, Denmark
· University of North Alabama
· State University of New York College at Oneonta
· Kansas State University
· Case Western Reserve School of Law
· Participant: Library of Congress, Copyright Roundtable, Should sound recordings fixed before February 15, 1972 be brought under federal copyright law? June, 2011
· Justice, UCLA Law School Moot Court Competition 2006
· Judge, Project Echo Business Plan Competition 2005, 2006
· Judge, Intercollegiate Competition on "Ethics and Business," Center for Ethics and Business, Loyola Marymount University 2004, 2005
EDUCATION AND PRACTICE
LAW SCHOOL: UCLA, 1965-1968. Moot Court Honors Program
UNDERGRADUATE SCHOOL: UCLA, 1961-1965.
PRACTICE: 1969-present (now in my 41st year not including 5 years off from 1990-1995): Entertainment Law, Internet Law and Intellectual Property Law (music, records, films, television, Internet Law, authors, publishers, web site designers, site owners etc.)